Here are some common questions you’ll be wondering about. If you don’t see your answer here, be sure to contact me and I’ll post a response here for everyone to see.
- Do I have to be a geocacher to come?
No, but you will have a lot more fun if you do! Simply sign up for a free account at Geocaching.com to get started.
- Is this something that the whole family will enjoy? Absolutely! These events are great fun for all ages, and kids will have a great time with some of the activities we’re planning. Along with geocaching fun and games, Long Beach has lots of fun tourist stuff to enjoy — a beach you can drive your car on, a recently refurbished old-time merry go round, horseback riding tours, a fun bike trail through the dunes, lighthouses to explore and lots more! Long Beach is pet-friendly, too — well behaved dogs may enjoy off leash romping on the beach and most local accommodations welcome your pets.
- Where should we plan to stay? There are lots of options, from high-end resort style accommodations to tent camping, and everything in between. The official headquarters for the event is the Chautauqua Lodge, which is giving super discounts for their ocean-front rooms and suites to geocachers during the event. Check out the Splash link for all the details on places to stay.
- Does it cost anything to attend? If you want to enjoy the full weekend experience, which includes registration materials and handouts, a chance to score a limited edition trackable geocoin, email updates and insider info before the event, discounts for local accommodations and restaurants, participation in the Dash, cool custom nametags, great contests and prizes, free event souvenir and lots more, you will need to register in advance. The cost of registration helps to offset event expenses, insurance, and a host of other expenses, ensuring another successful event again next year! If all those amazing goodies don’t interest you, you’re welcome to drop by and hunt for geocaches on your own.
- Where is Long Beach and how long will it take me to get there? Long Beach is at the very southwest corner of Washington at the mouth of the Columbia River and just across the border from Astoria, Oregon. Driving time from Seattle is about 3 hours, and from Portland about 2 hours. If you are on Vancouver Island, you may wish to take the Victoria-Port Angeles ferry for a much faster route than travelling through the US border on Interstate 5.
- Will there be a trackable geocoin made for the event? Yes! Check out the event’s Facebook Page for more details on the geocoin.